Thursday, October 10, 2013
During Service 1
My first time going to Rock Island High School, was a slightly scary experience because I was in a new situation, by myself, and without nearly any direction. I had to find my own way through the school and find the classroom I needed to be in. Once i found the right place I was supposed to be in, one of the girls needed help right away. This girl did not know much English which caused the language barrier to be quite significant. She was having trouble reading what she needed to do in the assignment. I needed to try my best to translate what the assignment was asking her to do. It went pretty well once we started. She get better at spelling the words and knowing what words to put to make the sentence make sense. This was all in one session of tutoring that she was able to learn better ways to write out a sentence. At first, attempting to translate was difficult because I had never done it before, but once I got rolling with it, I picked up better ways on how to teach her the language. After I got the hang of it and some tricks on how to explain, the rest of the assignment was much easier. I plan on using how I taught her on other students that do not know much English.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment